- 1 + 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon dark rum, optional
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 5 large plums, halved, pitted
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 teaspoons brandy
- Freshly whipped cream, for serving
- In a food processor blend flour, almonds, sugar and salt until nuts are finely ground. Pulse in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in almond extract and enough water to form moist clumps. Knead dough on a floured work surface until everything is well combined. Form into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1/2 to 1 hour until firm.
- Pulse all the filling ingredients together except the plums in a food processor until almonds are finely ground. Spread the filling evenly in the prepared crust.
- Press the plum halves skin side down into the filling.
- Bake tart on baking sheet about 30 minutes until the filling is puffed and lightly brown and the plums are tender. Remove to a wire rack.
- In a small heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat stir jam and brandy until mixture boils. Strain the glaze through a wire strainer with a bowl underneath. Brush generously all over plums. Cool completely.
- Push pan bottom up to free tart from pan or if using a pie pan carefully slide out onto a platter or cutting board. Cut tart into wedges and serve with whipped cream.
For glaze: (I skipped this.)