1 pie crust (recipe follows)
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 peaches, peeled, cut into 1/2 inch wide wedges
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter, melted
coarse or raw sugar, for sprinkling over crust, optional
fresh whipped cream, for serving
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small cubes
3-4 tablespoons ice water
- Mix the cream cheese with 1/4 cup sugar and vanilla extract. In a separate, large bowl toss peaches with 1/4 cup sugar, lemon, cinnamon, ginger and flour. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll pie dough out on a floured surface to a 10-inch circle. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet or in an 8 or 9 inch pie plate lined with parchment or lightly greased with butter. Spread cream cheese over center leaving about a 2-inch border. Add peaches and evenly spread over top of cream cheese.
- Start in one area and fold crust over filling, pleating and overlapping all the way around. Brush crust with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes until crust is golden brown and peaches are bubbly. If baking in a glass pie pan you may need to increase the time. Serve warm or chilled with fresh whipped cream. Store leftovers covered in refrigerator.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl.
- With a pastry blender, two knives used scissors fashion, or your fingertips, cut half of the fat into the flour mixture until it resembles cornmeal. Cut or rub the remaining half into the mixture until the largest pieces are the size of a dime, or flattened peas.
- Sprinkle the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, over top, tossing with a fork until it comes together. Pat into a disk and wrap with saran wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.