3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate candy melts, for drizzling over top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together.
- Mix butter and sugar with an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy about 4 minutes. On medium speed mix in shortening, then eggs and vanilla; beat until creamy. On low speed add flour mixture a little bit at a time and mix until just combined.
- Line baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Fill a 2 and 1/4 inch cookie scoop* with cookie dough and level off the top with the flat side of a butter knife. Drop the dough onto the baking sheets 3 inches apart and bake about 13 minutes until edges and tops are firm.
- Cool on sheets 5 minutes then remove to wire racks and cool completely. Melt chocolate and drizzle over tops.