- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound catfish, cut into 4 portions
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add almonds and garlic and cook until both are just beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine milk and egg in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, combine flour, salt and cayenne. Dip fish in the milk mixture, then in the flour mixture; shake off any excess flour. (Discard any leftover mixtures.)
- Heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fish and cook until lightly browned and opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Return the almond-garlic sauce to the stove over medium heat. Add lemon juice and heat through, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the sauce over the fish and sprinkle with parsley.
Per serving: 327 calories; 20 g fat ( 5 g sat , 11 g mono ); 114 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 396 mg sodium; 533 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (33% daily value), Vitamin E (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat